[RC] to horse with hematoma - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Kelly Nutter hrbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I only read archives but this subject is something I learned alot about last
fall so felt I should write. My horse smacked his thigh into a gate post last
Labor Day and got a large hematoma. I had a ride planned in a week and had a
vet out who drew alittle fluid out to make sure it wasn't an abcess.  She said
she didn't want to drain it because they often refill and we could end up
draining it over and over, my horse is also a lousy patient.  She told me to
keep riding and go ahead and go to the ride.  I did a short conditioning ride
and it got bigger, waited 2 days and rode a short ride and it got huge, as big
as half a soccer ball with fluid that rippled like ocean when you pressed it.
I trailered to another vet, he said confine my horse to small paddock, use DMSO
and wait and see. It never caused him any pain or discomfort just looked
horrible. It took 3 months for that thing to go away!  I used DMSO every day
for 2 weeks, then had to drop back because it was too irritating to his skin.
The size reduced gradually. Slowly increased turnout to pasture.  The vet
refused to drain it, told me to use "ticture of time".  Got it rechecked every
month, started riding and if it got bigger than shortened the next ride.  Used
DMSO only after being ridden. My vet wanted to see it get a firm border and
shrink in toward center. No more endurance for the year. My horse's thigh is
totally normal now. I couldn't believe it took so long to resolve and it was so
frustrating! I really hope your healing time is shorter. My horse had no
lasting effects at all. Just another strategy to try,it worked for us.Good luck
to you, Kelly & Mick