Re: [RC] [RC] Ticks:No chemicals for us! - April

Yeah, they're a natural part of life. I went riding at a tick-infested trail a year or two ago. Forgot fly/tick spray. I went anyway. I spent a very long time picking ticks off my horse's legs. I stopped counting after 100.

Now I make sure I have those chemicals onhand.

BTW, ShowSheen sprayed on horse legs helps keeps the ticks off. They can't get a grip.

Ticks not removed can cause infections apart from diseases they might carry. Also, buried tick heads that stay in the horse when the body is removed can be sources of infection. Ticks are not my friends.

April
Nashville, TN

   Pick 'em and flick 'em off yourself.Picking 'em off the animals is pretty much optional.(I do it,but not all that thoroughly.)The squeamish reaction to ticks is driving all this application of poison onto our animals.Ticks are part of the normal life of mammals.Yes,they can,rarely,cause disease.So can a lot of other things.I live in the woods,and walk there daily. My dogs have ticks,Chico has a very few,and I pull about ten a week off myself. Only when I have a flea explosion (about once a decade)do I go for the chemicals.My animals are extremely healthy.