Re: [RC] It's ENGSBERG - Coujurs1

In a message dated 6/15/2005 7:28:20 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, rides2far@xxxxxxxx writes:
It's Sarah ENGSBERG. And for those who don't know her, she's a cute,
petit blonde, great competitor, shoes horses, smokes a skinny cigar
occasionally, is good with a chainsaw I hear, and is soon planning to
bottle her own BBQ Sauce called "Sarah's Possum Sauce". I'd definately
want her on my team. :-) By the way, anybody know the story on her OD
ride?  According to Tom he last saw her missing a shoe and riding with
the drag rider. I heard later that she was totally MIA for awhile and
they couldn't find her.
Angie,

  I went up to crew for Sarah, she is just 8 weeks post complete bed rest with a back injury.  Tough doesn't cover it all!  I was waiting for her at Fitchets, and waiting, <g>  knew she planned to go slow but got worried.  Asked several 50-75 milers as they came in if they saw her, a man said I think so (a man that knows her) and Sue Mullen said nope haven't seen her.  And if she had passed her, she would have known.  So went to Rosie, Station head, and reported her missing.  They thought she might have turned up Veach and would be back in Mccoy's way out of her way.   She came in about 30 min. later, Joann Baker saw her heading up a mountain.  Said she had gotten off to electrolyte and stopped after a sign, so after dosing, got on and turned the wrong way.  Vanna looked none the worse for wear.  Sarah was mad at herself, but did the smart thing and didn't try to make up all the lost time at once.  Kept apologizing to me, and I asked if she had planned to finish before dark, she said no, I said so what difference does it make if we are a couple of hours later.  Was still ahead of cutoff times.
  She never lost a shoe, she had put easy boots on for pads over her shoes, and kept losing one of those.  She made it to Fosters and Hickory with no troubles.  I met her at the one p-stop on trail.  At Edinburgh Gap.  They were doing fine, both ate and drank and then trotted on, I would tell her at VC's how far the loop was and what the next cut off time was.
  I got to Little Fort, and hiked back to the VC.  As the cut off time approached, no Sarah, the timers said for some reason the cut off times had been removed.  So someone finally made the decision to send the drag riders backwards to look for her.  The Ham radio guy and I tried to get Search and rescue to understand that I saw her last, and where.  Turns out the drag riders out of Hickory Lane had to haul out of Edinburgh because of a lame horse and they weren't behind her anymore.  They had no glow sticks before the VC or for a while after the VC.  Even though the cut off time was 10:30, an hour after dark.  Finally the two Drag riders, on mules radioed in they had found her.  Wasn't long and on they came.  Sarah said she couldn't find the cut off of the road.  Didn't plan to try to make the last 30+ miles as there was no way she would be able too.  Vanna looked great, of course.  And we made it back to camp about 2:30 in the morning.

Nina Barnett