RE: [RC] Trimming hooves - Linda Cowles

I finally took the plunge to try to trim my horse's hooves (I've been reading up alot over the past year or so). O.k. well, I did one hoof so far! The other front hoof is scheduled for tonight. :) It was hard work, my legs muscles were very tired too. Thankfully my mare was very patient - I guess I need to work on this!! :)

Hi Lysane,

Where are you located? It's tough to learn to trim without some training or assistance, so I encourage you to try and go to a clinic somewhere... and there are several regional "trim fests" centers where trimmers get together and trim cadaver feet to compare techniques and information. Most trimmers are very supportive of new folks and will mentor you through the first few months... I trim professionally in the northern California area and promote using Epic & Boa boots vs. shoes and teach most of my clients learn to rasp flair and manage length. If I can help you figure things out on-line, I will; it's easier when there is someone there to help you!

I started out learning a Strasser-like trim (from Martha Olivo) but switched to using Pete Ramey's Less-Is-More techniques a year ago(www.hoofrehab.com) . My horses feet are much tougher now. Pete teaches a mustang type trim, very similar to Gene Ovnicek's Balanced trim. I rarely touch the bars or frog after the first trim, and almost never touch the sole with a knife.

Making trimming easy on me wasn't the point, but this type of trim is MUCH easier - and easier to learn. I have information on my web site www.healthyhoof.com, that describes these trims, as well as information on passive hoof conditioning, boots, etc.

Don't get discouraged, and don't hesitate to use boots until you're certain you don't need them! Booting is easier, healthier and cheaper than nailing on metal shoes, and the whole point with this stuff is to keep your horses feet balanced and healthy... boots aren't cheating! They're an added expense once you don't need them, but your horses comfort is important. I still use Epics on the front most of the time because it's been unseasonably rainy here, which softens sole callous, but when it is dry for more than a week, my guys feet handle the areas toughest trails without boots.

Let me know if I can help!  Regards, Linda

Linda Cowles
Certified Hoof Care Provider
WWW.HealthyHoof.Com
HealthyHoof@xxxxxxxxxxx