[RC] (RE) training fees - April Allison

In house training for anything where I moved from (don't know yet around here) starts at $300 a month. That amount is figured this way.  Figure out how much it will actually cost to feed and care for the horse. Then double it.( or just use the going rate for mare care/day for drop off breeding.) Then figure out how many hours will be spent with the horse actually, include feeding, grooming, checking up on, as well as training. Figure a fair amount per hour based on local wages and ad that to the cost of feeding and care.  If you have to do something waaay extra to have the horse, add a little more. :o) (for instance if you have a stud and keeping a second stud means you have to do some serious managing of the rest of your horses or even putting in new fencing or reinforcing a new stud stall.)  Then you tell the customer that your price is $300/month (or whatever) and that includes feed/horsekeeping/grooming every ? days/ and 1hr of training 6 days a week. or what every you have decided on.
to work at their place you charge a fee per hour, including travel time, plus a fee for mileage on your vehicle that includes your actual average cost of fuel and a little for ware and tare. The trick is to charge a good getting started inexpensive price while still making money and not being so cheap that people won't take you seriously.
Hardly anybody pays me,lol. We teach riding for foster kids and scouts. They have to do volunteer work with local charities to pay for their lessons.  If the cost is too inexpensive, nobody takes you seriously.
the other April,
byhalia, MS