Re: [RC] horse chiropractor? - Chris Paus

The first question I would ask is

Are you AVCA certified? This is the only national certification program for animal chiros. People have to either be a DVM or a chiropractor to get in. I've had people tell me their farrieror someone else does chiropractic. That person cannot be AVCA certified and I'd be leery.

Secondly, if the person brings out a mallet, get your horse and run! A good veterinary chiro does not use a lot of force to effect change. My horses loff their chiro treatments and by the end of a session are practically in lala land.

chris

April Allison <aallison1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
After much local asking around, I have settled on a chiro. guy to come check out my Skipper. He had  fall in the pasture a couple of years ago that left him lame and sore in the hip for several weeks. He has always had a mild brace to the left. Kind of a perpetual project keeping him supple that way. After the fall, he hated to turn left in a canter. Much time to recover and stretching exersises later, we worked it out. We had to move due to a job transfer and the horses were out to pasture for a whole year of just  being horses. I have had them home a couple of months. Brace does not describe Skippers desire to not turn to the left at any gate. In the pasture, he is great and relaxed to the right, but stiffly turns his whole body together to the left. It doesnt slow him down any, nor is he lame on any leg. But his left turns are stiff tight forehand pivots. Vet didn't find anything so I thought I would have a horse chiropractor look at him. We are working on suppleness and I am not sure that it isn't just that after a year of not working to the left he just needs more time to work it back out. My daughter could see what I was talking about when I pointed it out to her, but didn't notice it before. I can be a little over protective of Skip. We have never had this kind of work done before. I did a lot of asking around and the guy has a good reputation. But can somepeople tell me what to look for or to expect? Is there anything I should be keeping watch for that would be "bad" for my Skip. I know horses can be soar after a session, but how do I know if I need to say "STOP GET AWAY FROM MY HORSE"?   hmm, sound like an overprotective mom dont I. (this whip is not to lunge my horse, its for you if you hurt him)
Thanks
April

Kansas State Motto: Ad Astra Per Aspera.. to the stars through difficult....

BayRab Acres
Paola KS
913-731-5947
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus