Re: [RC] Ouch (Tight Rear Muscles) - rdcarrie

I'm with you, Nicole...even though I'm starting to hear that it's ok to hose the large muscles when they've just been working, I just can't bring myself to do it.  At rides, I limit myself to wetting them down in front of the withers, and the insides of the rear legs.  Just can't bring myself to throw cold water on the rump muscles.  But on our training rides, we walk the last half mile home along the road.  Then by the time we untack, put tack in the barn, and then start washing the horses, they've cooled out quite a bit, so I'm ok with hosing them down all over.  But I stick to the front half of the body and the insides of the hind legs at rides, just to be safe.  But then, I generally ease into vet checks with my horse pretty well down anyhow, so don't need to spend a lot of time soaking them down.  Usually just let them drink, throw a little water on them to make myself feel better (sometimes they'll need a few scoops to drop faster), then on to P&R.

Dawn in East Texas

-----Original Message-----
From: Zephyr Arabians <z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx>
To: rdcarrie@xxxxxxx; tiffshorse@xxxxxxxxxxx; tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 10:58:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [RC] Ouch (Tight Rear Muscles)

--- rdcarrie@xxxxxxx wrote:
> It's cute how they quickly learn how good a bath
> feels!  Here in hot humid East Texas, they seem to
> really enjoy their post ride bath.

Hi Dawn,

Trust me, I definately hose my horses after training
rides!  I always have.  And I sponge like mad on
endurance rides, and have no problem hosing the front
half & legs if a hose is available.  But, I've always
heard that warning about using COLD water on hot &
tired large muscles.  And, after watching a mare cramp
up to near immobility after having her hindquarters
hosed on a hard, hot ride, I was glad I'd refrained (I
had been using the hose just minutes earlier, but
limited myself to Phlyrt's front half & legs).

But, like I told Truman privately, I love learning new
info (and I think it's great when new info challenges
the old "myths").  And he certainly has a lot more
endurance experience than I do.

~Nicole

Zephyr Arabians http://www.zephyrarabians.com
KattWmn Web Design http://www.kattwmn.com