Re: [RC] Wyoming Wild Horse Ride 2005 - Chris Paus

what an awesome sight that must have been. Thanks for the wonderful description. I'm sure the visuals I got weren't even close to the real event!

chris

Jim & Drin Becker <rainbow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just returned from the Mtn Region Wyoming Wild Horse Ride held this year
for the first time on the McCullough Peaks Wild Horse Range . This was an
outstanding ride , the trails were excellent with hardly a rock on them ,
great vets, great awards and a home cooked barbecue dinner each night after
the ride . But the most spectacular part of this ride was that we got to
ride through the range where the local wild horses travel daily . I did not
talk to one person at the ride who did not see wild horses . I rode the 50's
both days and must of seen between 40 to 50 horses while riding . .On day
two on the 50 mile ride there were 7 of us frontrunners at the second vet
check at about 40 miles and we were treated to a once in a lifetime event
that I have to tell you about . There were 4 of us riders in the check when
one of the ride helpers walked over a hill right behind the vet check where
there was a water reservoir , she walked onto about 25 to 30 wild horses
getting a drink of water and spooked them , the horses then ran out from
behind the hill where we could see them which was only a couple hundred
yards away from where the VC was . It was absolutely breathtaking and
amazing to watch , the horses started running and milling around as there
were about 6 foals with the herd and one of them a little buckskin foal had
been born the night before so was not able to keep up , the herd ran away
from the mare and new foal and then the stallion brought the herd back to
the mare and new foal and gathered them up just as 3 more riders came into
the check . We all just stood there in amazement and I believe every one of
us forgot about the ride for at least 30 minutes as we watched these horses
, the colors were beautiful , bays , grays , pintos , buckskins , blacks ,
chestnuts , it was beautiful and just as we thought it just couldn't get any
better than this , over the hill comes a dark gray bachelor stallion and
try's to steal some mares from the two herd stallions one which was a young
buckskin stud and the other an older bay stud . There were some mock charges
and then finally the gray gave up and the herd moved off and we were back
into ride mode . At awards on Sunday evening a BLM horse was raffled off and
a lucky rider won a very nice broke mustang ready to take home and start
conditioning on a $25.00 ticket . I will definitely be back next year and I
highly recommend this ride to anyone else looking for a great ride and maybe
even a " wild horse experience " if they are as lucky as we were .

Drin Becker

Mtn Region