[RC] Sore SDF Tendons - April

Hi,

I have a question. Tanna and I came in second at the Sunday RWD (Rendezvous With Desitny) 50 (don't get excited, there were only 3 finishers...). As such, I was allowed to stand for BC, which I did, merely for the experience as Betsey Knight was way ahead of me and was the undisputed winner of first and BC in that ride.

During the course of the BC judging, Dr. Habel noted to me and on the vet card that Tanna's hind superficial digital flexor tendons below the ankle were sore. I run my hands down Tanna's legs often, but really never checked these tendons before, so I don't know if he has a history of being sore. The next morning, there was no soreness whatsoever.

My question is: Is this a common soreness? Does this mean I rode too fast (hard to believe for a 9 hour 48 minute ride time)?  I have tried to bring Tanna (11 yo gelding) up very slowly and consistently and RWD was his (and my) 6th 50. Is this a LSD issue or just something that might have happened because of the rough ground we experienced at RWD?

Any other thoughts or suggestions on strengthening those tendons and preventing soreness in the future? Would icing at the vet checks help?

Thanks for your input,
April
Nashville, TN