Re: [RC] Ouch! So that's what a pull at the finish feels like! - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Angie,

 Don't know about the other regions so much, but I will say that I have personally seen the SE region vets do everything BUT trot the horse out to help get us the completions.  And I am not just saying this because Otis told me last ride he reads what I write.  :-)

Jody and the girls

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>>The vets have our horses' best interest at heart.
Yep, but I will say my pet peeve is a vet who isn't in any hurry to let you do your trot out at the end of a 100 (or any other distance I guess but especially a 100).   I finished a 100 once and was told the rider just ahead of me was pulled at the finish for a cramp. So...I was extra careful, kept him moving right up till we got to the vet and the vet was in the middle of telling a story to some friends. and sort of ignored me. I mean, heck, I understand they've been out there a long time and hurrying may seem silly, but let me do my trot out PLEASE! I tried to politely interupt and said, "Can I go ahead and trot out?" and they glanced over and said, "um go ahead and pull your tack first" and continued with their story. >SHRIEK!< I mean, at this point *my* brain's fried...I've been worrying that something would happen for 100 miles and it's time to put me out of my misery and LET ME DO MY FRIGGIN TROT OUT!!!!<  I mean, you'd think the vet would maybe think of that when they had just pulled another horse at the finish. My horse trotted sound after standing, waiting untacked in the chilly air...then I went back to the trailer, sat down for a few minutes and when *I* tried to stand up all my muscles just locked up on me. Thank goodness it was me and not my horse! I was fine the next morning. No, I didn't need myself pulled. I guess I was "fit to continue"...but if there's any vets reading this, pretend you cannot wait to get that horse trotted out when they get there and you'll have an extra jewel in your crown in heaven. :-))

Angie