RE: [RC] rough trot qtr. - heidi

He's got good shoulders/pasterns, that wouldn't indicate a rough rider, but
he is big strided with a lot of "lift".

First of all, glad to see so many folks articulating the reminder that
this horse is still a baby.  And just a note along that line, if he has
that much stride and lift, it will take him even longer to get his
balance with a rider, most likely.  BUT--the good part of that is that
he will be a better ride in the end.  One more reason to give him more
time.

We're still working on the saddle thing, we've put 3 of our saddles on him,
and he's coming up with the dry patch behind the withers.  He's straight
backed, and slab sided, someone mentioned that a mule saddle might fit him,
dunno.

That tells you that he is being pinched there.  He likely cannot rotate
his shoulder blades well enough in these saddles to reach out at a
trot, and hence is just dubbing his front end into the ground on each
stride.  It hurts!  He's being a good boy not to object in any way,
other than limiting his motion.  Definitely sounds like he need some
attention to saddle fit, as well as some time to grow up.  (And saddles
that don't fit his narrow build now MAY fit him later when he grows into
them, too.)

But as for all the horses we have ever started, this has got to be the "brain
beater" of them all!

Actually, sounds pretty straightforward.  You've identified one of the
biggest issues (saddle fit) and have seen the signs of it, and those
here on the list have suggested that one as well as the other obvious
one--time to mature.

Heidi