Re: [RC] Trotting TWH's(?) - Truman Prevatt

Ridecamp Guest wrote:

Ray,

You get old bloodline walkers. Not one on my place has a horse on their papers born later than 1982, and on the mares side she quickly gets back to the 50's. There are also some breeders that are breeding for "square" horses not pacey horses they can slow down into a running walk by using 5 pound shoes.

My old mare will trot in hand, will trot at freedom and will trot under saddle. Her so has a very fast trot but very smooth. Follow him down the trail and there is no doubt what he is doing. Same for her daughter (full brother and sister). They are out there - but they are hard to find. I suspect that now you would be more likely finding them in the west than in the south where the "square" has been bred out of most of them.

Truman

Please Reply to: Ray O'Donohue rno2m@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Where in the world are all these trotting TWH's coming from? My friends,maybe I am wrong,butI am skeptical.The hundreds of field trial Walkers we see come from all over the deep south and the rest of the nation.The stepping pace is the desired gait for all Big Lick (ugh)TWH's,and that group is by far the dominant genetic TWH strain,whether we approve or not.I see little or no mention of the fox-trot in these posts,but if a horse can do both a square trot and a RW,he HAS to occasionally do a fox-trot.I still think most of these TWH's said to be trotting are doing nearly the opposite;a gait one click to the center from a square pace,in the direction of the stepping pace.

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein