[RC] Pre-Ride Grain & Tie Up - kpross

My horse Shiraz and I just completed the 50/55 of Wild West I and Wild West III in the Sierras.  So we rode a 50, days rest and then a 55. At home, my Arab gelding only has a 20 X 200 paddock with no turnout.  For this reason I don’t feed grain to my him until after he has worked (don’t want him to tie up) . . . when he doesn’t work hard, he just on grass hay, beet pulp mash and vitamins.  My question is that of the two days of the ride, I felt that he did a lot better the second ride . . that was after two days of consistent whole oats added to his mash.  He was still calm but had a lot of more get up and go and more concentration.  In two weeks, we have another 50 coming up.  For the next two weeks, he will be on vacation but getting regular leg stretcher walks.  I would like him to have the enthusiasm and forwardness that the nutrition from the grain gave but am hesitant to give it before the ride because of possible tying up.  What do others do?  Please and Thank you.

kim