[RC] TW -timing up the feet - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Natalie Hodges nhodges@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

[If they tend to pace, then weight the hind feet.
If they tend to trot, then weight the front feet.
If they gait 100% then do whatever to their feet.  Shoe, or=
barefoot.
Weight means to put heavier shoes on their feet.  Either in the=
front or the back, but not both.  The weight is at the toe of=
the shoe.  I have seen them and touched them and lifted many of=
those type shoes.  They make many many different types of=
weighted shoes.  Sell them everywhere it seems.  Or maybe=
everywhere I see them for sale.  I could give you a couple=
places to get them if you want.  These are not the normal shoes.=
 Some are light, and some I have lifted must weigh 10#'s each. =
Seriously.  They mean business in the TWH industry, and they=
want those horses to gait not pace, nor trot.]

Laura, did you mean to say it the other way around? I have only heard, and
tried putting a toe weight shoe (or eventer sized one size up) on the hind foot
of a trotty horse, to slow down the hind foot, and a quicker breakover up front
with a 1/2 round, or Natural balance shoe, always natural angles and foot
length. This timed up my trotty walker. I trail ride only, and do not use the
toe weighted shoes. I have certainly seen pacey horses barefoot behind, shod up
front with a gererous amount of toe.
Have you experienced timing a pacey gait, by slowing the hind foot down, and
speeding up the front foot like you posted above?
I ask you this, because both Brenda Imus, and a post on a foxtrotter site
mentioned this as a solution also...and I wanted to know why it is the opposite
of everything else written, and if it works? Thank you anyone who has input
here. My favorite mare is slightly too lateral, and the standard barefoot
behind is not making her squarer. I am very tempted to try the opposite, but
hesitant to have to ride a rough gait for 6 weeks if it fails!!
Thank you,
Natalie