RE: [RC] hobbles - Ranelle Rubin

The one thing I think a lot of folks don’t take the time to do with young horses (or any horse of any age) is recreationally camp! We take our horses to all kinds of different places and invite our friends! We simulate the conditions on an endurance ride. We bring pack able buckets on the trail with grain and rice bran, we ride with groups of strange horses, we take our time to get them used to as much as possible in terms of things they have never seen. I was on the trail a few weeks ago with a lady whose horse will not drink away from home. When I asked her if she had ever taken her horse camping other than an endurance ride the answer was no. I consider all the above as crucial in terms of training as anything else! BTW, the horse that laid down tied to the trailer and got his feet under it was a 6 yr old and it was his first 50. I think he was just plain tired!

Ranelle

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Chris Paus
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 1:50 PM
To: Jonni; Ridecamp
Subject: Re: [RC] hobbles

True enough!

If there's a way to get hurt, a horse will find it, no matter how hard we try to keep them safe. All we can do is what we think is right for our horses and our situations.

chris

Jonni <jonnij@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

There is no 100% fool proof way to keep horses from getting hurt, or in
trouble while camping overnight. I've been tying mine to the trailer since
the early 80's, even for week long camping trips, and never had one do
anything stupid. Other have horses who do get into trouble. Corral panel
wreck (Karen Chaton has seen a few very nasty ones) Electric fence corrals
getting ran through and the fence dragging behind causing horses to run in a
panic
Jonni
www.pbase.com/photobyjonni