RE: [RC] returning to competition after colic - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

Only my opinion, but I think the answer depends on why the horse colicked in
the first place, assuming you have anything close to an inkling of what the
initial cause was (and a lot of the time we don't).  It also depends on what
kind of colic it was (gas, spasmodic, impaction, etc) and whether it was a
Sh*t Happens sort of thing which easily resolved with a little banamine and
maybe a bit of mineral oil; or if took some IV fluids, a second treatment of
oil, etc.

I don't think there's a simple answer if treatment was prolonged or required
more than one visit from the vet.  There are just too many variables
involved to make blanket judgements and you should talk with your vet about
the individual case.

If the colic was secondary to over-riding, dehydration, electrolyte
imbalances or heat exhaustion, then once the horse has clinically returned
to normal and has had a week or so to recover, then you're okay to start
riding again.  Do so cautiously and keep an eye out for trouble the first
few weeks, just in case there's some weird underlying factor or some
residual damage.  Obviously, you're also beholden to correct whatever issue
caused the problem in the first place, including giving yourself a swift
left to the chops if you did something stupid and/or just overrode your
horse.

If the colic was Just One of Those Things, was resolved quickly with a
single simple treatment (which in my mind is some banamine +/- sedation, a
fairly unexciting rectal exam showing nothing hugely amiss, a dose of
electrolyted water and some oil via nasogastric tube, and the usual
aftercare instruction of with holding feed and walking a few minutes every
now and then), then I'm fine with the horse starting back to work fairly
quickly.  I might not send them off to the Kentucky Derby the next day, but
if everything seems normal, then I'd rather see the horse out and moving
around than standing in one place turning into a lump of clay.  One of the
best preventative measures against colic is regular exercise, so wrapping
the horse in cotton wool and NOT riding is sort of counter - productive to
further colic, eh?

So...my opinion for you, Cindy, is get back to work. :-)

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS