[RC] What I learned at Michaux - Laura Hayes

What a great ride!!  The management was great, the trails were tough and satisfying, the weather was ok except for that downpour, and I gained a new appreciation for my gritty little brown mare.

Here's what I learned:

1.) As much as I crab about the Northeastern winters, there is nothing more beautiful and fragrant than the mountains of Pennsylvania when the rhodies, the mountain laurel and the honeysuckle are in bloom.

2.) I remembered how I LOVE a tough trail- mountains to climb, rocks to be careful of, slides and banks and knee knockers - bring it on!  The recent turn toward easy galloping trails is not for me.

3.) Twelve hours on a horse is tough on a soon to be 45 year old body.  25 was so much easier and I had no appreciation for it!

4.) Crown Royal eases the pain - thanks Skip.

5.) By the end of a ride, I regret the truly awful names I called my horse in the beginning when she was trying to run away with me.  I regret them but I will not apologize until she apologizes to me.

6.) My horse likes everyone else's hay at a ride and will not touch her own.

7.) Electrolytes are over used....if you first teach, and then allow your horse to eat and drink, you may not need them.  Equal Terms had no dehydration or other metabolic problems after 75 miles in 12 hours with NO electrolytes - NONE.

8.) Sometimes going back to the old stuff is better.  I rode in a 25 year old stonewall with a supracore pad (total weight, 208 lbs) with just a slight amount of sensitive skin on her right side.  This old saddle has fit her better than the 5 or 6 newer models I have tried.

9.) I truly love to ride new trails.  I jokingly said, at the awards, that just being out there on beautiful trail on a good horse was award enough.  Actually, I wasn't joking.

Ride safe and remember to smell the laurel,

Laura Hayes
Vine Cliff Farms
Brocton, NY
AERC# 2741