Re: [RC] horse inspection requirements - Sisu West Ranch

"...As most of us do not have a 'brand' on our h..."

This is really a case of a confusing name.  Think of it the same as the registration papers for your automobile.  MT requires papers on all livestock removed from its home county (so you can go to the vet clinic if it is in the same county).

Whether on not there is a brand or a freeze mark on a horse doesn't matter.  You prove ownership of the animal to the inspector, and he issues a certificate describing the horse period.  If you have a herd of animals going to an auction, there is a cheap inspection that only lasts a little while.  If the animal is a riding horse, you pay a bit more and the paper lasts until you sell the animal or move.  When I bought Stevie from within MT, I had his old inspection paper and a bill of sale.  The brand inspector took both and gave me a new one.

I used to worry when I owned grade animals and lived in a non inspection state, if  I could really prove I owned them.  The bill of sale usually said something like bay gelding with star aged about 10.

The confusion will probably come to an end when the livestock instant ID system goes in to effect in due course.

When I moved to MT I checked and found that the interstate health papers, which included a MT import number, were all I needed until I got to Ravalli County where the papers said I was going.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875