Re: [RC] Reply to Suicide Race - DVeritas

In a message dated 5/25/2005 9:12:48 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, greymare56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
However, hard for me to close my eyes to animal abuse in the guise of "tradition" or some sort of cultural rite of passage.  ESPECIALLY animal abuse that occurs in entertainment events, and especially in this country which has struggled to establish humane treatment laws for animals....
    My opinions were formed very early in my life, regarding the "rights" of animals.
    Not from a well-to-do family, I found myself, at age 16, cleaning a local meat-packing plant every night of the week...from 9:00 p.m. until after midnight, while in high school.
    What I saw each night, what I "cleaned up" each night gave me a perspective of the selectivity of "our" views regarding "animal rights".
     Seems if they taste good on the grill, they have no rights, except (perhaps) to be marinated before being charred.
     The "tradition" of a Memorial Day BBQ or the grilling of lamb or whatever, seems very important to many Americans.
      I eat about anything...I am a consumer.  Guess that makes it okay to do to animals what I've seen done to animals.
      Ennobling the horse seems to be an extension of the "horse communities" egocentric leanings...because of what we choose to do with them.
       I guess it is about choices and who makes them.
       Happy Memorial Day to All,
             Frank