RE: [RC] Reply to Suicide Race - Chastain, Shannon L.

This reminds me of my first LD Ride. I was getting gas at the local station when one of my hubby's friend stop and asked where I was going, I told him an Endurance race. He was shocked I would go such a thing to my horse, I on the other hand was confused. So he told me this story:

A months or so before when he was on his way to work at the towns water treatment plant he saw a family camping with 4 horses in  an electric fence. He stopped to talk with them he thought the horses were rescue horses they looked like &hit, they were very thin and he said there coats were very dull. The owner told them there were endurance horses and they were on their way back to Texas from Canada. He told them they did 50 miles races and were always in the top ten and the horse only "lasted" a few years then they would replace them. To my husbands friend this was abuse, I tried to explain not everyone had this kind attitude toward their endurance horses and I plan to ride mine for years even if I only do LD's. But the damage was already done he condemn the whole sport.
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of DVeritas@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:45 AM
To: kathleenmarie@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Reply to Suicide Race

In a message dated 5/24/2005 6:10:31 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, kathleenmarie@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
We know our sport has strived to become safer over the years (CRI and fit to continue etc) but to an outsider it could still look like we are callous to our horses’ welfare by “pushing them to run 100 miles in a day”.
What sane and well-presented thoughts, Kathleen.

"Rites of Passage" certainly seem a bit more (culturally) important than winning a buckle.

I am no fan of rodeo, either, but I always wish the riders and animals well and hope for the best, though I still don't attend them (which is darned-near sacrilege where I live).

Same for the (so called) "Suicide Race" in Washington.

Thanks for sharing your perspective, Kathleen.

Frank.