[RC] Alpines new shoes - agilbxr

Well, after a year and a half of barefoot, I had to break down today and shoe my pony.  I've been riding longer and faster than I ever have, and I'm afraid that I have worn Al's feet down too much.  I went to ride yesterday, and discovered Alpine was just smidge off, but not what I'd call lame.  Checked his legs with a fine tooth comb, no heat, no swelling, nothing.  Sooo, since my farrier was due out today anyway, I put him in his room and waited.

Kenny (the farrier), was checking out Alpines foot after I told him my pony was off, and when he hit the toe area, Al started biting the lead rope.  But he never twitched that foot...crazy guy.  After a little trimming and some probing later, there it was!  The dreaded abcess.  (aren't abcess's supposed to make horses drastically lame???).  Anyway, Kenny and I chatted about feet and riding and stuff, and it was decided that he needed his feet shod.  Darn!  I liked paying $20 for a trim.  My check book whined a bit about $65 front shoes.  *grin*

Anyway, he has a nice shiny new set of shoes ( he got rim shoes.  I don't know if that makes any kind of difference or not).  He was in the pasture showing them off when I left. And trotting much sounder...I know, not necessarily from the shoes, but cause we found the abcess and opened it.  So, I have instructions that I am supposed to show up tomorrow morning and trot him out.  If he's 100% sound, he's going on a short ride to get used to his new tootsies.  Yay!

Juli and Alpine (hey!  wanna see...they are shiny!)