Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] What type of training?

----- Original Message -----
As long as there are no soundness or safety issues, I'd say let him go as fast as he wants--but keep him out there until he asks to slow down on his own, however long that takes.

*Hi Dabney; I too have done my share of "boogeying" down the trail....and have seen a lot of problems and damage done by just letting them go, if that is what they want to do.

I doubt Alan's horse is really legged up to be allowed to go as fast as it wants, but could be wrong.
How would you handle a young horse that loves to go,but not legged up?

I have "done the work" to get to the point where the horse IS legged up for faster work; but it can take miles and miles and several years of ponying, so that you CAN control the speed .
Karen