From: "Chastain, Shannon L." <slchast@xxxxxxxx>
To: "L gin" <ladurgin@xxxxxxx>,<Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RC]   Went to Pete Ramey Clinic... research info
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 07:30:30 -0500

I was pretty upset when I read this because I use the Ramey trim and have always respected this origination but when I read this paragraph (see below) from the original post it upset me they would be associated with any research that would purposely force a horse into founder.

Also he says Michaigan State Queensland are doing research about to
publish - what goes on with Laminitus and foundering. Inducing founder by
tubing horses with wheat flour and water , I believe , then putting them
down at intervals to see what is happening..
!st thing increase in MMP enzymes-which severly wound or destroy the BM
membrane.This can be regrown, but must be produced at the coronary. You will
have weaness top to bottom till you grow it out. But the rest you need
to go find on the Michigan stae website/ as I didnt' get it all in my
notes..

So I emailed Pete and Ivy Ramey and got this reply

Shannon,

You have received some misinformation.

The University and veterinary doing this research is Dr. Chris Pollitt and
The University of Queensland in Australia. You can link to this research at
www.uq.edu.au/~apcpolli/ If the link does not work it is also posted on our
website. When you arrive at Dr. Pollitt's site look for his articles, this
particular article is titled "C.C.Pollitt (1994) The basement membrane at
the equine hoof dermal epidermal junction." The informational research we
are teaching comes from several of the articles.

Once again this is not the work of MSU or Dr. Bowker. I would really appreciate it if you would go back to the Ridecamp group and inform them of this.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything further,
Ivy

Shannon