To: "Alan Kay" <alankay@xxxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] What type of training?

what prior trail riding or training did this horse have?

It can be very beneficial to really slow things down for a bit and spend a
year
of mostly walking....get him trained to be a solid trail horse before
allowing
the speed. Go find a local trail that needs trimming, and teach the horse
to stand
while you cut back stuff..teach patience. Work on water and trail
obstacles, opening
and closing gates, etc. Do long, boring walking rides so the horse learns to
relax
and develop a nice, fast walk.

If the horse truly has a personality to go go go....it will be there and
re-emerge when
you have a better trained horse ready to pick up the pace.
Karen