Re: [RC] Prineville, Injured riders and horses - heidi

Maybe a vet or breeder can comment on the health, not racing,
consequences of cryptorchidism (retained testicle).  I'd imagine there
would be problems as the horse gets older.

The flat track racing world routinely does surgery to remove the retained
testicle, even if they plan to use the horse for breeding, because the
discomfort of working with the testicle in the wrong place can be a
detriment to maximal performance.  And although it has not been
particularly documented in horses, it has been well documented in several
other species that the retained testicle is considerably more apt to
become cancerous.

I rode for years with a friend on his stallion.  Eventually the horse
was gelded.  After a year of being a real wimp as he discovered the
world without his testosterone shield, he became a really nice riding
animal with much better recoveries.  And much happier too!

They do indeed perform better at this sport if gelded.  I've ridden some
very content and capable stallions, but in all cases where we've had any
comparison, their brothers and half-brothers out-performed them, even
though they were very good individuals.  That doesn't mean we left the
wrong ones intact--not at all.  They just do better at this sport if they
don't have to deal with testosterone.

Heidi