Re: [RC] Prineville-another perspective - Sisu West Ranch

"...My horse freaked-it was not a question of training at that point.."

As Lucy told Danae, "Worse case scenario first, reality check later" .

Horses have an instinct to run when danger threatens or other horses run.  We temper it by proper training.  Horse riding is an extreme sport.

All the more reason to build redundency into our riding.  If I want to be really sure that my pants don't fall down I wear both a belt and suspenders.  I tighten my chincha, train my horse, inspect my tack, use a breast collar and crupper, wear a helmet, and pray to the deity of my choice.

Thanx for your post.  Sounds like a real mess, and probably not preventable by anyone but the owner of the BLM stallion.  Even the stallion's owner may have had no clue that he would react that way, but I somewhat doubt it.

Last week we were riding with friends.  The 4 of us just walking down the trail.  For no reason that anyone could figure out, the most experienced equine bolted.  Now Jeb is a large strong Mule.  Eventually, his rider got some air time.  Sometime later Jeb rejoined the horses.  The strange part is that the 3 horses are all somewhat green, but they just looked at the mule go by puzzlement on their faces.  We easily could have had a real wreck.  I'll never figure horses and mules out.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875