Re: [RC] did AHA give in or did they have no choice/label as pure - Maryanne Gabbani

Recently (like within the past 10 years) Egyptian Arabian breeders here began importing Egyptian horses from the US and Europe to replace blood lines that were lost during the grand exportation days of Forbis, Marshall, and the like. This has been seen by most of us to be A Good Thing since the gene pool for this line of horses is pretty small actually. The bad part of the importation has been a version of the Golden Rule that has allowed imported horses to be 'quarantined' on farms so we are seeing some wonderful new strains of strangles and so on also imported.

Egyptian breeders are among the most rabid on purity of line, but when you look at the horses that were initially brought here, they were brought from all parts of the Arabian peninsula, and as such have all sorts of genetic backgrounds. Those from Syria and Iraq are often much taller and leggier showing signs of Akhal Teke blood. A tall leggy horse is described as being an Iraqi, in fact. Those from the southern end of the peninsula are often smaller. Most of the purebred horses here are about as suited to endurance as poodles are to dogsledding.

A lot of people who want Arabs for riding use our baladi Arabs who have been bred for work. Some of them show signs of the British introduction of European horses to 'improve' the bloodstock in Egypt in the early part of the 20th century. You will see some massive but typey Arabs pulling carts loaded with 3 or 4 tons of iron in some of the old parts of the city where trucks can't navigate. I have a little hummer who is worth his weight in gold that looks for all the world like a New Forest Pony in winter. So there is a lot of mixing in the baladi population.

From what I've seen of Arab (human variety) mind sets, horses were likely bred first for performance and second for purity in the old days. THEN the stories of the horses' purity were created. Not to be cynical or anything, but a working horse is a working horse and they WERE working horses. I'm not sure that the label 'pure' is really suitable to the situation, but it is more a case of 'restricted' or 'defined' or something to indicate that you started with a mix and have limited the outcrosses. I can say that my Rat Terriers are 'pure American Rat Terrier' but that in itself is such a goulash of dogs that the term 'pure' is pretty laughable. I just tell people here that they are American baladi dogs that have been bred to do a particular job.

Maryanne
Cairo