[RC] exploring and trout fishing - Jonni

Truman posted: >>> and endurance is the best way I know of spending time
with your horse unless you are camped in the Wind River range in WY and you
can ride into a good trout lake and catch dinner. That's pretty close to
being as good as endurance, ten mile ride in, fly fish and a 10 mile ride
out to camp<<

During the XP2004, we camped near South Pass City (SW of Lander WY). One of
the days off, we went exploring in the southern most part of the Wind River
range. I bought a Topo map, and we headed out. I had not used a topo in
years since the invention of GPS's. But the GPS did not have a map loaded in
it, and the details needed to negotiate the trail I had planned. Did about a
12-15 mile loop, past numerous small mountain lakes ponds. I still
remembered how to read the map, and figure where we were, and which trail to
take at the Y's and splits.  Years ago we used to do lots of exploring in
the Sierras with just a topo, and a couple good horses. We would pack our
collapsible fishing poles, and head back into the wilderness to catch the
wild stream trout. We did catch and release, tho' I DO love trout for
dinner! Indeed, nothing better than riding in beautiful country, and
stopping to trout fish. I did not get to trout fish when in WY, but I'd put
the Wind River range on my list of places to return to some day. There were
miles and miles of trails and dirt / jeep roads, it looked like a great area
to explore some more, or maybe even a location for a multi-day ride. Saw
lots of wildlife, including a moose. Pretty common up in that area.

Jonni in TX