[RC] [Fwd: Leg Wraps] - Bruce Weary

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Leg Wraps
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 11:34:28 -0700
From: Bruce Weary <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: DreamWeaver <nvrider@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I agree with Karen about wrapping legs after a ride. She and I both have
many thousands of ride miles under our belts, and I don't wrap for the
reasons she mentioned and then some. The lower legs contain very little
anatomy other than
bone and the ligament/tendon apparatus. The vascular supply (lymphatics,
arteries and veins) is very scant compared to the rest of the body. The
slightest of pressure on these vessels impairs their ability to exchange
fluids and metabolic by-product overload induced by trotting 50 or 100
miles. Riders will often see spiraling lines on the horse's legs after
removing the wraps, which are outlines of trapped fluids that were not
allowed to circulate. These disappear with activity, as does the filling
or "dependent edema" often seen in unwrapped  legs after a ride or the
morning after.This filling does not necessarily herald the presence of
inflammation. Tissues that have been working hard naturally have more
fluids shunted to them, which eventually has to be drained off for the
tissues to return to their normal resting state.The fluid often collects
from the effects of gravity and being tied all night to the trailer,
but, in the absence of injury, begins to dissipate with activity. In my
opinion, circumferential pressure on the lower leg vessels after hard
exercise, impairs the transport of these important fluids, which are the
"carriers" of the metabolic waste products and healing nutrients that
must be freely exchanged for tissue restoration.  A cold water hosing
and manual massage probably does as much good, and may do less harm than
wrapping.  Bruce Weary