Re: [RC] wildlife encounters - Truman Prevatt

Back several years ago I had a fixed training route in my neighborhood. One day we are trotting along this fence line and the mare started to pick up speed for no apparent reason. I noticed her eye was on something to her left. I look over and this guy had gottened an emu and the emu was running the fence seeming to be "running with the mare."

I normally did this route twice a weeks at about the same time - sun up. Every time I tunred along that fence the emu would take off and run beside the mare and the mare would pick up speed so they were side by side. I think they were racing ;-) . She never spooked once at that big bird but she didn't spook much anyway - unless it was a miniture horse. Those would get her attention. I guess she was worried that the "horse shrinker" was still in the area.

Riding her I encountered bear, the emu, a FL panther, a pretty good sized rattler and a few gators - no spooks. But those damn minitures - that was a different story.

Truman

agilbxr@xxxxxxx wrote:

I don't know if this counts, but we have a stray emu in the woods here. We were trotting down the trail when this emu pops out of the bushes. Alpine did the prettiest rollback and took off in the opposite direction. Thankfully, he took me with him. He quivered for 10 minutes over that. (it was a VERY big chicken). The second time we saw it, it about ran under Alpine's nose and he never even broke gait.. Guess he figured that the big chicken didn't eat him the first time, so he was safe now.
Juli and Alpine (you never know what eats horses...)

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein