[RC] WEC Ideas - rides2far

. A hypothetical story came to me after
reading the idea of horses on the short list changing hands after vs
before leaving.

I was thinking about what if the selectors sent some good horses home
because they thought they had "better". Then the "better" ones are gone.
Can they get the others back?

Wasn't one of the World Champions purchased just about 3 days before the
event once? Or was it the European Champion? (seems like the horse was
from France or Spain or something...maybe I dreamed it) Meg Wade seems to
have been the most successful at breeding endurance horses, training them
and selling to the UAE top horses who produce for them, but then she
seems to come right out and be right behind them on whatever she brings
for herself to ride. From what I read in the short while Endurance World
was published she seemed to be probably the most successful producer of
World Championship level horses, yet she and the Aussies have yet to get
a gold. If the object is to be a good businesswoman it seems she's the
best endurance rider in the world. She makes the best and makes the money
for them. If the object is to win her country a gold, I guess you'd say
she hasn't produced (but has still probably been a bigger threat than
99.9% of the riders) I don't think she's bad for making horses to sell. I
hear she's a tremendous horsewoman. Does she *owe* it to her country to
offer them the best chance at a gold? I don't think so...but if she let
herself be chosen on their squad with a certain horse, then sold it, that
would seem wrong. If she *nominated* a horse and then sold it before it
was chosen....I think that's the real territory we're in here. Val had
*not* been chosen for the final cut. I can't imagine that she'd have sold
her horse if he had already made the cut and was good to go.  The
question is just, should the selection committee have a firm commitment
on the longer "short list".

Angie