[RC] herd leadership - Kathie Ford

Was reading these posts with great interest..been lurking for quite sometime..but had to share what I've seen in herd of mares...

the alpha mare, My horse Spirit definitely does not like squabbling and does put an end to it pretty quickly..plus you can see when there is a squabble she is somewhat concerned about the disharmony displayed.  You can see it in her _expression_..

and the comment in regards to a youngester  not allowed to be in the herd until understanding the rules...well I've seen that too..funny but very interesting story if you chose to read on..will try to make it short I hope..can be long winded!!! LOL

4 years ago I bought a yearling from my friend and brought her home.  I thought it would be fun because I had the filly's grandmother (and later her mom as well).  I was there when this little filly was born so already had a spot for her in my heart..anyway, I tried to introduce her into the herd  a little at a time but was really surprised to find my mare..alpha girl,we will call her was very insistant about her not being included...I honestly didn't see any dominance in this filly until later..but somehow my mare knew it was there...for several months I tried (being careful as she was a yearling) and then one day, when alpha girl was in season I put Miss Rosie in....Well alpha girl is very maternal during her "season" time and took her in..finally..they walked around together, groomed each other, just really hit it off so to speak...then...later in the afternoon..Miss Rosie (we call her snots!  tough little horse, but a bit of an attitude!)  decided to turn and kick my mare right out of the blue and for seemingly no reason...I was in the pasture cleaning...so witnessed this whole thing...

anyway, alpha mare was so mad and at the same time shocked...Her ears when forward and back and forward again  like "what did ya do that for little missy?" and then the face "Why you little......snot!!" ..well in the meantime while Spirit was gathering her wits about her and not taking her eye off Rosie, Rosie had run over to her grandma (no kidding..this is for real!)..grandma looked up at Spirit then put her face back in her food as if to say>>>"you're in this one alone babe!"

Well, guess what she did?  Rosie trots up to spirit (a yearling mind you, and Spirit 16'1!!  too!)  Spirit trots to her..and the little Rosie wheels around and kicks her again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wow!

My horse took off after that little filly like her butt was on fire!  She chased her and ran her back and forth a few times at the bottom of the pasture...unfortunately the others were in the way said "let's get out of dodge!!!"  and went to another part of the pasture..watching this whole drama....

the last part of this was really something to witness and I don't know why, but Spirit, alpha girl ran in front of Rosie cutting her off and jumped up in the air in front of her and landed square in front of Rosie (now snots for sure! LOL) and cut her off to a dead stand still...then...it was over...

Spirit walked off, gathered the others and left Rosie outside them for about an hour or so...slowly she allowed her in and they have been very close buddies since..In fact we named alpha girl Auntie Spirit!  She still will be the one to discipline her if needed..but they are very close buddies..Rosie is 5.5 now so that was a time ago..felt sort of lucky to see that...

Well, probably too long but hope you all enjoyed this!  I wouldn't have believed it had I now seen it with my own eyes...so very interesting to watch how they are together...

take care and happy trails..back to lurking!

kathie