Re: [RC] Dubai and no Val? - heidi

Okay - a round trip ticket to the UAE is around $1000.  Should we talk
about  how much $$ these team members spent in the past year plus
because they were  members of the team.  This included trips to
Biltmore, Ft Howes, and Idaho, at  the least.  Some members had to
travel to other rides also.  Never mind how  much time off work these
people and their crews had to take (assuming they still  have their
jobs).  Now, they had to be in Fla for a month and a half (no  paycheck
again) and then off to the UAE for the remainder of January.  Oh, don't
forget - $$ has to come out of their pockets if they want their whole
crew with  them.  It ain't all free!

Anne, I don't think anyone was "judging or condemning" here--and I
certainly didn't mean to start a debate, either.  But I still think that
it is reasonable to expect someone to retain a horse that they have
nominated.  And while you are correct that those who are on the squad have
paid dearly for the privilege to be there, it is my understanding that the
USEF picks up a considerable tab for international competitors as well.
While it may only cost $1000 for a person to fly over, the last time I saw
any figures, USEF budgeted somewhere in the neighborhood of $120,000 per
horse-rider team for international competitions, and I know a few years
ago, they were really happy with the endurance people, because they only
averaged spending about $110,000 or so of that money, coming in under
budget, and were the only discipline to do so.

So yes, even though the competitors have paid a considerable amount (and
many folks travel that much to do rides without being a part of the FEI
scene, so I don't think it is fair to compare the travels to Ft Howes,
Idaho, etc.--we had the entire saga of one rider who traveled from Florida
to do Tevis right here on Ridecamp, etc.), I still don't think it is
unreasonable, given the monies that USEF spends to send the best possible
squad, to ask a rider who nominates to see the process through, barring
the normal attrition rate that occurs anyway, due to injuries or
illnesses.

Heidi