[RC] [RC] 100 mile rides - Dabney Finch - DreamWeaver

But, Karen, aren't you allowed to feed your horse in line so long as you;re not enrolled in the FEI ride>

It struck me when I did it, the VC into a"= "box" (which was actually a good idea) was the only major difference we non FEIs had to put up with??

They would not allow us to take food, buckets, or even carrots into the box or vet line area. Nobody asked if we were in the FEI ride or not. Besides, isn't it unfair to the FEI riders -- their horses aren't getting to eat. We are afterall, still all competing together in the AERC ride, so why should my horse get to eat and theirs can't? I just think if there are going to be rules they should be applied universally to everybody, and in the best interest of the horse. Granted, if there are no vet lines and no waiting then it isn't an issue. The vet boxes are a good idea, so long as you have adequate staff to man them. I don't enjoy having to argue during the ride over stuff like this, it takes the enjoyment out of it. Riding a 100 is already difficult without any additional aggravation because either the riders aren't educated well enough about what is expected, or the ride volunteers or officials. I went back last year and did that same 100, but this year it's an FEI again and I'm just not up for dealing with the problems I had the last time it was FEI. Doesn't mean I wouldn't do it again if somebody can convince me that things have changed, but I haven't been able to find a single person willing to try to convince me of that. I know how limited my choices are for rides of that distance so it's frustrating since I would like to do the ride. If my only issue was the not being able to feed my horse in line, that probably wouldn't keep me away.

Karen
in NV