From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Marv Walker
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 5:12 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] To Tie or Not to Tie

I would recommend, if you are using baling twine to connect the bungee cord, to place the twine between the halter and the bungee rather than the end attached to the trailer.   The reason is, if the twine does break and the horse is flinging its head around, you wont have a guided missile smashing into the trailer and you as you attempt to grab him.  The metal end of the bungee cord can exhibit tremendous kinetic energy.

I feel the need to comment on bungee cords having learned
the hard way...

There should be NO bungees in use in any manner around a
horse.  One of our older warmblood mares took it on herself
to pull back on our very stout bungee system.  I watched in
amusement as she stretched those 5/8ths bungees to roughly
three times their length and waited for her to catapult back
into place.