[RC] Argentina to Dubai, getting settled in - Stephanie Teeter

Back in Dubai... so much is familiar.  I'm getting around pretty good now with
a rental car, am pretty secure with the path from the hotel to the Endurance
City, found a gas station today. And things are pretty much settled down from
the first flurry of arrivals.   To back up a little -

John and I arrived in Argentina Jan 4, were picked up at the airport by Eduardo
and Mercedes, and taken to their farm/ranch in the country outside of Buenos
Aires. (our 'home' for this winter). We got settled in amid the fast pace of
making plans for Dubai. Mercedes is riding, her horse is RAS Kasal, Eduardo is
the Argentine Chef d' Equipe. Jan 6 the horses were loaded and sent to the
airport to be shipped to Dubai that night. Jan 7 15 members of the Argentine
squad and support group left BA for Dubai. I flew with this group (earlier than
anticipated due to an error on flight dates)  - not quite sure what/where I'd
be once I got there. A stroke of bad luck for one of the riders - she had lost
her passport and couldn't get on the plane - left an opening for me at a Dubai
hotel that was reserved for 6 of the group. The others would be staying at the
Endurance City - 2 in the Bab al Sham hotel, and 6 in the Chalets (dorms) that
were built for riders as part of the original Endurance Village.

So, a long plane trip (12 hour flight time from BA to Paris and then another 8
from Paris to Dubai) and we arrived in Dubai some time after midnight. We were
met by representatives of the OC, who helped us get through passport check, and
arranged transport to the various hotels. Lots of waiting, wondering, waiting,
wondering - but the hosts were very friendly and helpful and we were finally
loaded into shuttles. The group that went to the Endurance City had an
additional hour or two of adventure when the driver couldn't find the EC. (the
road to the city is still being built - but godwilling everything will be
finished in time). Our group (3 women, 3 men) went directly to the hotel, but
upon arrival all of the smiles, anticipation, excitement began to deflate,
reaching 0 psi by the time we got to bed. The hotel reservation was made
through a travel agency, a 'modest priced' hotel was requested, and in good
faith fullly booked for 2 1/2 weeks, until the 23rd, at which time everybody
would be housed by the WEC OC at the Dubai Dusit h
otel (a very nice one).

Our hotel, the Rush Inn Budget Hotel, is right on the main street, in the
center of Bur Dubai - a major commercial center, and primarily Indian/Pakistani
residence. I actually like the area a lot, especially once you get off the main
streets, lots of little shops, great smelling food, almost entirely Indian
population - so in this sense, it's a good adventure. I'm writing this from a
little Internet shop off of a little street, filled with men speaking a
language I can't understand, (hard enough learning Spanish). So the only real
problem is the hotel - it's just a low budget place, no hot showers (warm at
best), pretty dirty and dark, kind of dismal. Three of us in one room the size
of three single beds, and not much more. There's a boy's Crickett team from
Bahrain staying there too, so the noise level in the morning is quite
astounding. They're cut though - little guys in red uniforms and caps. Excited
little boys.  And at night the music from the bar downstairs gets a little
loud. But, enough whining...

The Argentine horses arrived in good shape, all travelled well. A little mixup
after they arrived resulted in no food for the first couple days (they borrowed
from the Chileans next door). Most of the Argentines speak little, if any,
English - and combined with local staff that speaks little, if any, English -
communication can be poor. But finally after calls and persistance Eduardo (who
speaks very good English) managed to get the hay and grain delivered, and all
were finally content. They rested the horses for the first few days, just
handwalking or light riding within the stable area, and today rode out for the
first time - an easy ride to stretch the horses out and see how they felt.
Trot-outs in hand after they got back and all was good.

I've seen a few others since arriving - the Canadians, looking happy (except
for some lost luggage) and their horses arrived in good shape. It's a long
haul. I met a couple of the Japanese riders - Hasume who did his qualification
ride at the Owyhee 100 - it was nice to see him - and his crew/friend and wife
again. They are VERY happy to be here. I met with Pierre Cazes (France) - he's
going to give me some info and photos when he can, and the Malaysian chef, who
will give me some names and detail tomorrow at lunch. (Everybody meets at the
the Chalet lunch room for lunch, nice food, relaxed atmosphere, hungry people).
I saw Luke Leisens today (Leonard's son who travelled with Orfeo) - he looked
happy and excited too. Luke and I were Leonard's crew in Dubai at the '98 WEC.
Pretty amazing to be back 6 years later. I've seen others here, but haven't had
time to connect. Should have more time now that everybody is getting themselves
and their horses .

That's about if for now - I'm checking email at least once a day, so if you
have questions or messages for anybody, send them along!

It's getting dark here now, and the streets are coming alive. I'm off to buy a
hair dryer at one of the little electronics/gadgets shops to replace the one I
blew up last night... some things don't change :)

Steph