Re: [RC] Stats on 100s - Truman Prevatt

I'm not saying any particular ride is EFI associated or not FEI associated. What I am saying is when you look at a years worth of 100's what percentage of the starters are AERC Int members? This tells you who is doing the 100's. This small set of members - which I am one - have a overwhelming impact on the 100 mile rides. I would also expect that percentage has grown over your analysis period. That is not good or bad - just a data point.

Why, I suspect it gets back to the ROC. The ROC gave the average guy that could do 5 or 6 rides a year something to shoot for. There was incentive to do 100's. Now unless you can afford the time to pursue FEI - there is no incentive. For some reason the NC - no matter what format has not provided that incentive - the 100's keep declining.

IMO the AERC BOD would be better off spending it time trying to figure out how to provide an incentive - to replace the ROC - for the average member to want to pursue 100's - thereby creating a demand - rather than defining a "metal" which will create virtually no demand. Without the average rider doing 100's they will become a playground for the FEI with the average rider that wants a little more challenge spending his/her money on multidays.

Truman

Michael Maul wrote:

are those that are primarily supported by those interested in FEI."

Truman,

I agree with many of your points but not the one above. Tevis is our highest profile/largest ride and isn't FEI associated. Biltmore attracts a lot of non FEI riders as well. It was 78 this year as a FEI ride while in 2000 - it apparently wasn't and still had 53 entries. Virginia City always has between 50 and 60 entries and has never been FEI.

Mike

--

“A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties.” Harry S. Truman