Re: [RC] HRM's - Kristene Smuts

it's essentially the same as a human hrm>>

My HRM is a human one since the horse ones have not been available here
for a couple of years.  Even now, they're way too expensive.  Even if I
could afford one, it would be useless in my particular situation as I
ride with a very loose girth - daylight is visible! ;-))  So, I use a
long elastic sewn onto the one end and a velcro strip on the other.  I
place the belt on the wither and allow it to slide back to its own
comfortable spot as every time I've placed it myself, it was wrong.  The
elastic is very thin and I've never had a problem with pinching or
chafing.

You can purchase electrode jelly (probably same as KY jelly) or just
water for the pads to get a good reading.>>

No, not the same thing at all.  I also used KY for a long time
(pharmacy staff had a good chat about that strange customer who bought a
gross of KY at a time!), but then read in some other article that KY
contains some substance that inhibits (I *think* it's glycerine, but can
be wrong) the reading on the electrodes - that explained my erratic
readings.  Rather just wet the horse where the electrodes touch the
body, or better, use salt water as salt is a good conductor of
electricity.  But then again, I'm not interested in what the HR is on
the first few KMs, so by the time the horse is sweating, the HRM is
recording the rate properly.

I've backed it up by checking as well with a stethoscope and had no
problem.>>

Yes, I've double checked it as well with a stethoscope as well as
having it confirmed by the vet at the check.  BUT, it still doesn't take
away my reading the horse - the HRM is just one of the tools I use.  I
also don't rely on it totally - sometimes I can't find the belt so will
ride without it, without worrying about by *inability* to read the
horse.

When I come into a vet check, I untack and put the watch on the belt
'cos I sometimes wander further away from the horse than what the signal
will transmit - never had a problem!

Kristene
South Africa