[RC] wild life encounters - Ericka Nelson

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] TV Program about Endurance riders and wildlife encounters

My favorite wildlife encounter was done while riding to the Tahoe Rim Trail from the Lakeshore trailhead out of Washoe Valley. We took the fork to the right that winds around on the side of the foothills, great footing, mostly flat, you can really trot out on that road.  About 1/2 mile down the road I noticed all the very red berries.  And then I noticed all the red berries in the very fresh bear scat.  Well, we dug our legs into our horses sides and proceeded to sing, very loudly, every verse we knew to "I spy a bear".  And sure enuf, after about a mile of loud singing and apprehensive trotting, we came around a bend and there was Mamma bear and her two little cubs, all standing up looking back at the very loud singers and their wonderful horses.  The horses did not bat an eye, but the three bears ducked off the side of the hill and disappeared.
That was fun.
Ericka