[RC] wildlife sightings (not including what comes and gos at the Odd fARm) - oddfarm

I don't have any real exciting stories but encountering all the wildlife is half the reason we all ride, I do suspect.

The first time I galloped on my Dough Boy, (which was also the first time since riding as a kid) I was going along a creek. I heard the sound of wind rushing at a rather rhythmic pace only to look beside us and watch an eagle flying right next to us over the water. His wing span was almost as wide as my horse was long. He swooped down, got a fish and flew off. If there hadn't been a chain link fence between us, I could have reached out and touched those incredibly graceful wings! It still brings a tear to my eye.

At Far Out Forest once, Dough Boy was trotting along and then came to a dead standstill. He froze and I could see his heart beat under my calf. I looked in the direction he was looking and saw a bear standing on his back feet. I was terrified. So was Dough Boy. I thought we would wait to see if he would run along but I really think Dough Boy was stuck he was so scared. Then I asked him to move forward while I yelled at the bear. I yelled and threw pretend rocks at him. Then after a few more steps Dough Boy drew a deep breath. It wasn't a bear, silly horse! It was a burnt tree trunk!!! We laughed and then felt kinda stupid {:-\  I swear, the bark looked just like fur!!

I was galloping at Liberty Run early in the start and several deer came flying out of nowhere. My mare Odie, never missed a beat. The girls are sooo much smarter. I can't tell you though, how many times I have screamed at deer to get out of the woods. They just give me the tail and run off.

At Leatherwood, Loony Lance and I were going down the trail when he stopped and started snorting. Loony Lance is NOT the horse I want to be on when snorting is involved. I looked up the side of the mountain and saw something move. Bobcat? Coyote? "Holy crap, I'm dead!", I thought. Then out of nowhere this deer came sailing over our heads only to land real darn far down the side of the mountain. I think he was screaming all the way down, "Hooooly Craaaap, I'm Deeaaaad!!!!!". Better him than me. Just kidding!

Todd and I were rounding the corner at a trot and I thought there was a dead dog on the trail. Just as I slowed Todd to a walk "it" got up and ran like hell. Before Todd and I could react it was gone. It was a pig the size of a German Shepard. No lie. Pigs and armadillos are the worst here in Florida.

I think cows have scared all of my horses more than anything else. The horses see them, poop every thirty seconds and loose 1 year off their life span. Once when we camped at Ponce De Leon, a few of us gals were outside chatting, the horses munching when we heard the trees rustle in a wooded area. Immediately, all the horses snorted and flagged for danger. I felt a lump in my throat. Whatever it was, it was real big. None of us could move or say anything. Then all of a sudden we heard a low, long, "Maaaooooooo!" Stupid cows. The horses dang near jumped out of their corrals and we all wet our pants.

When we got lost at Green Swamp the first time we rode there, my daughter and I saw a panther. Well, we saw the tail, which was very long and thick, as he ran into the woods. That was pretty exciting. We have also seen otters on several occasions. They are real fun to watch! We did have a water moccasin come out of the vet check area at the last Green Swamp Stomp. Who knows how long he was lurking in the tall grass while horses and riders trotted out?

At Big South Fork, we were walking the horses down the road and my boy thought about kicking up some horse poop on the road. Luckily, we realized that it was a rattle snake before the boy got too close. Whew!

Just Monday, I was riding on our local trails which are only about 1 1/2 miles from my house. There was a turtle trying to lay her eggs right in the middle of a field. Every time she dropped an egg, those damn crows came and ate it. I shushed them away but it was no use. So out on the trail we went and saw a coyote. She wouldn't move and then we saw why. She had two pups! We are right in the middle of city life so that stuff is exciting to see.

Sometimes I feel like Steve Irwin out on the trail. It is a challenge to see if you horse will stay long enough to hear you say, "'Ave a look at that mate. Ain't she a 'beaut?" as the armadillo runs under your horses legs!

Nature is a fabulous way to learn and be entertained!

Lisa Salas, The Oddf Arm