From: Ed Kilpatrick <whytrotfarms@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 11 May 2005 19:32:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [RC] gaited horses-long term soundness, etc.

all this talk of gaited horses and nobody mentioned paso finos??!   we have a lady down here in the southeast region who rides a 23 year old paso fino stallion in LDs.   as far as i know, the horse has never taken a lame step!    paso finos are tougher than a boiled hoot owl!!   and smooooooth!  oh my gracious how smooth!   i won the PFHA(paso fino horse association) National Champion endurance horse award with my paso fino gelding starbuck in 2002.  this award went to cathy barnes and her paso fino gelding tsar in 2003, and to joe ed casillas and his paso fino gelding obi in 2004.

kind of what truman meant, evaluate the individual horse, not the whole breed.   pick a good gaited horse with great legs and feet, and the rest of the tools to do this sport!    cowboy ed