[RC] Some Epics photos & Mt. Carmel - DreamWeaver

This is all I have so far, but will try to add more in the next few days. A couple of shots of Chief's feet and ankles, so you can see at least that there is no rubbing around his pastern area where the gaiters fit. I fixed that by putting a couple of wraps of vetwrap around his ankle each morning before tightening the gaiters. That worked extremely well, especially when you consider how much wet sand there was. If something looks odd, it's because he's that dreaded grey color and even at 10 y/o still has plenty of dark hair mixed with the lighter stuff, which can be deceiving at times. Trust me tho, there is no swelling anywhere, and no rub spots either. You'd never know he just did a multiday ride with lots of elevation in the deep sand (except he's starving, poor thing) The other photos are of the boots that he used at Mt. Carmel. I did rotate them each day so he would stay in alignment (kidding). ;) Actually, I did use the same size boot all the way around so the fronts and backs did get mixed up and used differently each day. After completing this ride, he's now done 9 endurance rides since becoming barefoot and has used the Epics on all of those rides. He's been doing great in them, I think he's getting better at each ride and has learned how to go well in the boots. I feel secure on all types of footing and we have done just about every kind of footing out there now. I think that we've put the boots to the test in all sorts of extreme conditions and I am really looking forward to a 'normal' ride. Not that I would know what normal is if it ran me over at a gallop.

http://community.webshots.com/album/343568437lLzLzF click on view slideshow to see the comments.

Oh, and may as well show some photos of the trail at Mt. Carmel. These are from the year before, because I was too busy playing with my new Garmin 301 and paying attention to Chief's Epics to care about taking photos. Besides, the camera wasn't working well, I think I've worn it out already. The Garmin was fun, it's a HRM and GPS all in one, but apparently I am going to have to read the directions (darnit) in order to figure out how to stop making multiple laps and just have it tell me how far I went in one day. It can't be that hard. The HRM part was sort of a waste though, it didn't tell me anything new or useful. Just that Chief trots uphill in the sand at 115 and downhill in the sand at 90 to 95, and if we stop his pulse drops rapidly down to 60 or less. no surprises there. Had the alarm set at 165 and it never went off. Mostly it distracted me from the beautiful scenery and kept me from taking photos.
http://community.webshots.com/album/142365636icfsYm
http://community.webshots.com/album/142371862VQlCmE

I'm too busy to write much about this years ride, but here is one from last year: http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/mtcarmelxp2004.html That page also has some of my favorite quotes. I may try to put together something from this year, the ride was really another adventure and something worth documenting. We had a really great time, and I'm glad I got to go, and happy that Chief and I made it thru safe and sound. We did see a really bad accident on the way home though, that was awful. I really did enjoy some of the new trail this year, and liked not having to repeat, that was nice.

Karen
in NV