[RC] Gaited Horses - Bruce Weary DC

Regarding gaited horses, I agree with Truman. I have been conducting my own little gaited horse experiment over the last four years or so, and have sifted through several candidates, including Walkers, Foxtrotters, a Walkaloosa and a Kentucky Mountain Saddle Horse. Several of them were
 "trippy", but I really like their temperament and workmanlike attitude. I have done several 50's on these various horses, with only one pull for a cramp at the finish line. I have settled now on what I think are two exceptional candidates that happen to both be Foxtrotters, a mare and a gelding. They are both 15'3" (I'm tall), lean built, very sure-footed, have great conformation and feet, and have resting pulse rates of 32 and 28 respectively. They have puppy-dog personalities, and are as tough on the trail as anything I have campaigned in my 20 years in this sport.
As to longevity, time will tell, but my early impression is that since these horses gait smoothly, their joint systems are under less concussive stress than trotting horses and, as such, may actually sustain less wear and tear as time goes by. At any rate, I am thrilled with the way I feel during and after rides, and  I haven't given up any gound competitively, in fact I'm going faster now with less strain on myself and the horse than I have typically ridden in the past. My gelding got BC on his first 30 miler, and the mare took 5th at a recent 55 miler. I never do that. You are all welcome to check my ride record.
   Bruce Weary  #4160  Gaited Horse Enthusiast