[RC] [RC] re: Stagg's comments - Erica

  Very sage advice from two  respected and long time endurance riders and it is greatly appreciated for sure.  This may appear to be a no brainer question, but I am curious......speed is such  a subjective term, how do we define "fast"?  What may be "fast" for one horse, may be "slow" for another.  Hard to put a mph on "fast" or "slow" because of terrain differences.  Are there  basic cutoff times for "fast" and "slow"?  A horse can be ridden at a steady fast or steady slow pace, but how do we define it? Is there a general speed guideline?  I understand each individual horse is different...however when I read the terms fast and slow, clarification would be helpful.  Thanks.
Erica  DeVoti
Cindy writes:"While I have no proof, either, I totally support and believe that Stagg's
comments below are true.  While I have not had the kind of success Stagg
and his horses have accomplished, I have finished 19 100 milers and I have
done a 100 miler as a horse's first ride."
Stagg writes: "Note that I personnally prefer not to do fast 50s on young horses but
rather to ride 50s as training rides for 100s at the pace that one would
ride a steady 100.  I would rather move a horse up to a slow 100s as a 6
year old than take them in fast 50s as I believe speed can be far more
damaging to a young horse than steady distance.