[RC] Owyhee 100 (and 60) - tom noll

Greetings:

Last weekend I was lucky enough to ride in the Owyhee 60 in SW Idaho.  I
chose the 60 miles even though there were 30-mile, 80-mile, 100-mile, and
trail ride options.  Although the 30s had a tempting and civilized start at
high noon, I wanted to ride the 60 because it was one big loop with two out
vet checks.

Idaho has been in a drought situation for the last few years.  Some time ago
the meteorologist at work suggested that April will have near normal
precipitation, and May and June may have above normal precipitation.  On my
way out to the ridecamp on Friday it began to rain, and by the time I
arrived it was wet and muddy everywhere.  I drove down into the field and
picked a very nice camp spot.  After stopping, I thought that I could move a
few feet and perhaps have something even better.  I promptly jack-knifed the
rig and there I sat in the mud and rain.  John Teeter came by on the tractor
and we talked about hooking the tow chains to the trailer and straightening
everything out.  It was an idea, and after a few beers it would have been an
actionable idea, but the beers were lacking at the time so the body shops
and trailer shops will wait for another day.  Patience is a virtue and
things dry out quickly in the desert.  I was able to drive out later in the
weekend with no assistance.

After day two of Color Country earlier this spring, I decided that I would
bring my irrigation boots and my wife's Australian rain jacket.  A light
rain continued through the dinner and ride meeting and I was warm and dry in
the Australian coat.  We had a wonderfully catered dinner with lasagna,
soup, salad, desert, not expensive wine, an opportunity to renew friendships
and to make new friends, and a ride to look forward to - who could ask for
more?  Steph gave us the ride details after dinner and it was off through
the mud to bed.  After an evening night-cap of hot chocolate and schnapps
under a trailer awning, I went to bed.  Shortly thereafter the last three
rigs drove into the muddy field in the dark.  After much spinning, slipping,
and sliding, they wisely camped where they stopped and we all had a nice
night listening to the frogs in Bates Creek and Pickett Creek.

The next morning was damp but with no rain as we started up the trail.  I
rode in the front with some of my friends and we set a fast pace in the 60.
Frank and I rode through the Owyhee desert and through the historic Joyce
Ranch.  The footing was excellent.  The rain had settled the dust and the
mud wasn't too deep or too slick.  We rode into the first vet check and
Frank pulsed down quickly.  He wasn't too interested in the grain mix, but
the green grass clumps were very tasty.

After 50 minutes we were off again.  The 60-mile loop is very scenic.  The
desert was green because of the rains and the season, and the Snake River
canyon is always beautiful.  Some of the 100-mile riders caught up with our
group as we dropped down into the canyon.  The water stop along the Snake
River is at a nice gravel bar.  The bar has been a human campsite for
generations.  There are remains of an old homestead and Indian petroglyphs
from earlier visitors (in fact, one of the 100-mile riders found an
arrowhead along another segment of the trail while riding at a trot).  There
are clamshells on the gravel beach and one can picture living on the bar,
eating salmon and clams, and carving rock art.  I understand that there were
battles over these reaches of the river.

We continued on up the river, climbed out of the canyon, and then rode along
the South Alternate of the Oregon Trail to the second vet check at another
historic ranch.  The second ranch is home to a certain individual, a cowboy
named Ed.

We were well ahead of any other 60-mile riders.  My riding companions were
going at a fast pace and I thought about dropping back a bit.  I talked with
Carolyn Roberts and we waited a few extra minutes at the vet check for the
others to get out of site before we started on the third leg of the 60-mile
loop.

A few years ago I rode this loop on the Owyhee Canyonlands five-day ride
with two other companions.  Seeing Ed, the ranch cowboy, on that ride caused
us all to consider how our lives could have been different had circumstances
led us in different directions.  On this ride, I rode up and had a few words
with Ed outside the tack barn and left him with a big smile on his face.

Carolyn and I continued on to the finish.  I decided to show for BC even
though I knew Carrie Johnson and Baghera finished ahead of me.  I let Frank
prepare himself for BC by grazing a in a small pasture for 45 minutes or so.
Baghera is an awesome horse and he received BC, plus high vet score, plus he
finished first.  It was a great day for Giacomo, but it was a great day for
Baghera and it was a great day for the other Owyhee endurance horses as
well.

Later that evening we had a potluck dinner supplemented with the leftovers
from Friday night.  It was another great meal with friends and conversation.
After dinner, it was time for awards.  Steph and John recently returned from
Argentina and the finishing awards had an Argentine flair.  Many riders
received gaucho belts but we could see another stack of items on the table.
The top ten riders in the 60 received Argentine ponchos in a ceremony
reminiscent of graduation as John Teeter placed a poncho over our heads.
Afterwards, looking around in my new garment and seeing others in the same
attire, I thought to myself, you could call this place poncho villa!

Christoph Schork finished first in the 100 and some of us stayed up for the
last few 100-mile riders to finish.  Some talked and drank wine in the vet
area while two of the ride vets played guitars and sang songs around back at
the campfire.  The last two 100-mile horses looked good and finished sound
just before midnight.  The 100-mile trail ride is the signature event of
endurance riding and finishing a 100 is a significant achievement for horse
and rider.  We rang the big dinner bell as the last 100-mile riders came
into the finish area.

I understand that the Owyhee 100-mile ride could be a demonstration ride for
an FEI requirement, and I know that there were several FEI and National Team
riders in the 100.  What impressed me about the Owyhee ride was that all the
riders - FEI, National Team, local riders, competitive riders,
non-competitive riders, and regular distance riders - ate together, camped
together, rode together, vetted together, laughed together, and had good
times on the trail together.  Too much can be made of our differences and
too little is made of our similarities.  Riding together and enjoying our
equine companions on the trails is what makes endurance special to me.  John
and Steph Teeter are very gracious hosts, the open country at the foot of
the Owyhee Mountains is always inspiring, and the Owyhee rides are always
pleasant.

Best Regards,

Tom Noll
SW Idaho