[RC] FEI/AERC - Steph Teeter

A couple more comments - (just in case my previous words get too twisted in
the Ridecamp crusher.)

FEI exists as a regulatory body for International level competition. It did
not create the sport, it merely exists in order to keep the sport fair and
even so that Nations can compete under the same rules, with equal
opportunity. FEI has rules that are almost identical to AERC.

Organizations are run by individuals, and individuals can and do screw up,
in addition to doing great things. In my opinion (speculation and hearsay
for the most part) some individuals screwed up at the WEC and did not follow
FEI procedures. They should be called on this, and I think this step is
being taken. Regarding the drug ruling, there are lawsuits and protests
still going on, it ain't over yet. And I personally feel that it could have
been a drugged horse, OR it could have been tampered samples. I honestly
wouldn't be surpised either way. There are really high stakes over there,
guys working for guys working for guys all trying to get ahead and/or save
their necks.

But this is a very extreme case - most of the rest of the FEI world is
chugging along nice and orderly. We've had some very straight, well-run
PAC's in the US. The PAC in Pinamar was wonderful, a very nice example of an
International championship event. Argentina has a very strong 'national
level' sport - they play by the rules, and their PAC event was very well
run.

I do believe that a strong local/regional/national organization is the best
way to keep the integrity of the sport strong - at the International level.

FEI rules clearly state that no drugs are allowed in competition. The rest
is up to the individuals that form the committees and listen to the legal
advice and make the rulings.

One of my goals as a ride manager has been to achieve peaceful coexistence
between the 'regular' riders, the heart of the sport, and those that aspire
to International competition. And sometimes they're the same people, and
sometimes goals change when you get lucky with an exceptional horse. There
are some really great things about doing International riding - eveybody has
to find their personal balance between horsemanship and competitiveness, but
it can be good, and it can make us proud of our friends when it is done
well.

I hate to see people trying to split our sport and polarize the membership,
and it seems to be an undercurrent in our country as well - a divided
population is much easier bait for the politicians. (this is probably a
little dramatic for Ridecamap... :) But I hate to see some of the arguments
being put forth, trying to get folks stirred up for a revolution?

Steph

(I'll probably be sorry I spoke up...)