Re: [RC] scam? - YES! - MJWEST02

These types of check cashing/split money is called MAIL FRAUD.  The Money Order or Cashiers Check they send to YOU is counterfeit.  YOU deposit it and send the  "buyer" 1/2 of the amount of the check in REAL MONEY.  YOU are holding a counterfeit check for the FULL AMOUNT and you LOSE the whole amount of the check.   YOU also get prosecuted for passing a Counterfeit Money Order....  so not only do you get screwed for the full amount, but you face FEDERAL charges.... (and when checking the FBI website, they indicated that the "buyer" really didn't want the merchandise, it was just a way to get you to cash their check!)

I have also received stories about people have died and there is money, blah, blah, blah...
I respond like this:
"DO NOT CONTACT ME IN THE FUTURE.  YOUR MAIL IS BEING FORWARDED TO THE FCC and to the FBI for Mail Fraud."

I have only reported one, and never got a response back from the authorities.  The best thing to do is DELETE, DELETE, DELETE - and please don't fall for something that sounds too good to be true - it usually is!

Mary