[RC] collection and saddle fit - agilbxr

Ok, from the saddle, how can you tell over bent.  I've just started Alpine back working with "collection" (my version anyway) since we got the new saddle and his back is feeling better.  At the walk, he'll play with me and get behind the bit, but his back is rounding up and he's using his hind end.  He doesn't really lengthen his stride, but hey, he's a paso!  what do I want...  At the trot, he stays on the bit and will round his back up.  (this is the first time in a long time he'll collect at a trot or canter...we like the new saddle!)  He was actually doing this for me at the canter too on Saturday.  I am no expert at dressage, having only done it on one little yellow paso fino, so how do I tell if he's over-bent????

As to saddle fit (yup, two part email...), the new Aussie saddle is a blessing.  The first couple of rides, on his right side, he had no sweat pattern, he had uniform sweating all over and no wrinkly hairs.  On his left side, he had a dry spot right next to his spine, with what looked like a focal point where my right...umm...cheek bone would hit.  However, there was NO pain, and no hair ruffling.  Since then, the dry spot is getting smaller, the focal point is getting smaller, and he LOVES the saddle.  He did 15 miles saturday at about a 7.5mph pace, gaiting and cantering with very little walking, and came in with no back pain at all.  Could this just be old damage that is working it's way out with the better fitting saddle?  I do put more weight on my left side, something I am aware of...that's my better knee.  When I get tired, I will take the weight off my right knee.  Something for me to work on I know, but it's kind of hard sometimes when you have no cartiledge in one knee....   (ibuprofen is my friend...and glucosamine)

So...multiple questions, one long email.  Whatcha ridecampers think?  Do I still need to be saddle hunting, or what? and how do I keep that paso properly collected and not cortoing with his head between his knees????

Juli and Alpine (puerto rican paso fino in an aussie saddle--he's multi-cultural)