From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jen
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 3:16 PM
To: Jonni; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Draw Reins

The problem is that even those with a very strong dressage background do not know what true collection of a horse is.  Just look at the dressage prospect class asking horses at age 5 to go in a fully collected frame.  Collection is a wonderful thing.  But it is not everything. (Impulsion,  Rhythm, Suppleness, and Straightness must come first)  You can do more dammage to your horse asking it to be collected if it is not appropriately conditioned.  Horses in nature spend the majority of their time on their forehand; grazing and even galloping on their forehand.  Watch a herd of mustangs and tell me how many are collected.  To develop a true topline and collection; takes years of conditioning and patience.

I do not believe that draw reins are a quick fix.  I do believe that they can be used as such.  (I know several Grand Prix horses who have had them used as such)  My arab has his head turned to the sky the  entire time he is out in the pasture.  No amount of riding on a loose relaxed manner encourages him to stretch down into the bit.  It is just not natural for him to be low and long.  (the surprise is that he is quite well built and doesn't have a ewe neck)  The draw reins however, allow me to place pressure that is straight down and not back towards me.  As soon as he gives down the pressure releases.   After a little time in them, I never used them to ask for a full collection.  He was not ready to go in frame.  He now seeks the bit without them, and he gives very readily to the bit.  I am not really sure how I could have convinced him without draw reins or side reins to stop looking at the stars.  Any bit pressure previously, moved the bit closer to my hands but unfortunately the only way he understood to do that was hollowing his back more and bringing his head higher.

That said no one aid is for all horses.  I have a mare who reaches for the bit quite well without aids.  So I don't use them.  Jen

Jonni <jonnij@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
kat posted : >>>Draw reins can be a help if the rider has light and
sensitive hands coupled with impeccable timing of the leg and understands
that the line
between application and over-application is a fine line indeed, which, once
crossed is difficult to "uncross."<<<

And I'd guess, that if the rider has such hands, timing etc., that they
would know how to get collection out of a horse without the use of such
gadgets that seek that "quick fix". But then most without a strong dressage
background don't know what true collection is in a horse.

Jonni