[RC] Injecting hocks for mystery front end lameness!!!!! What? HELP!!!!!! - Claire Nystrom

I have a friend with a 16h TB/Trak. 9 yo mare.  She kept being on and
off lame in the left front, she insisted this was because the mare had
been diagnosed with navicular in that foot.  However, no actual
navicular degeneration shows up on the x-rays.  When the mare kept
being off, I suggested that she call the vet and have the horses back
and saddle fit checked.  Sure enough, the saddle did not fit and her
back was very sore.  The mare was then given 10 days off and treated
with robaxin.  She bought a new saddle and put a sheepskin half-pad
underneath as the saddle was still a bit wide and sunk when the mare
was being ridden.  I have ridden the mare for her and when doing so,
concentrated on getting her to travel naturally as she was
high-headed-- and is ewe-necked as well as being atrophied along the
topline as a result.  Well, vet said, the horse must be ridden
collected all the time.  So, my friend switches instructors and is now
sawing on the horses mouth to the point that she has blisters on her
hands.  Mare was doing better, now fighting and miserable, so draw
reins and a flash noseband were added.  Anyway, horse goes lame again
in the front.  My friend calls the vet, vet blocks everything and
still can't figure out what's wrong.  She thinks there is a
possibility of a high suspensory, so the horse will be ultrasounded
Monday for it and she's going to repeat the blocking.  However, the
vet is also going to inject her hocks although it has been determined
that there is no hind end lameness and her hind end is not the
problem.  Reason: the vet wants to inject the hocks to allow the mare
to use her hind end better, "give her support" and get off her front
end and build muscle strength behind.  What!!!!!  My interpretation--
not physically possible for a horse to go from being ridden
uncollected to being ridden "collected" all the time in a few short
weeks and with such a short time period off after being in pain for an
extended period of time.  Maybe I am stupid, but why would someone
inject the hocks if they are not arthritic or a source of lameness??
I think that the horse needs more time off, and
acupuncture/chiropractic/massage before being put back to work.  I
also think that she does not have the muscular strength to go from
being ridden improperly and hollowed to being "collected" all the
time.  Her body needs to heal fully and she needs to build up slowly
into this kind of work.  Another thing that I'm wondering is perhaps
the horse suffers from some vitamin/mineral deficiency.  She is stall
kept with a 1/2 to 1 hr. t/o a day.  She gets free-choice grass hay
and a handful of grain.  She does not have access to a mineral block
or salt block.  She also colicked a few weeks ago and seems not to
drink enough water.  She looks not quite in peak condition and her
coat looks a bit dulled.    I am not saying that this is the whole
problem, but I think that it could be a contributing factor.  The barn
owner does not "believe" in supplements, so the horse doesn't get any.
I'm not saying load her up, but maybe get a hair mineral analysis
done to find out if there are any deficiencies?  I just feel sorry for
my friend and her horse and the grief they're going through and I
don't think she's on the path to effectively solving the problem.  Any
advice/explanation would be appreciated. Thank you.